Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

My Own Special Grace

I struggle with envy at times - in fact, it is probably one of the more persistent occasions of sin in my life. There was a particular attack upon me along this vein over the last few days. God our Father, in His mercy, gave me a very special grace to help me overcome sin in this instance. I will keep the specifics to myself, but will point out a lesson I am (re-?)learning.

In an attitude of humble prayer, "Jesus, help me not to give in to this temptation. I am so weak, I know I'll blow it if you don't help me. This feeling will lead me to sin if you don't deliver me from temptation, Father. Please. Amen." Prayer develops and personalizes the experienced relationship with God, and becomes the setting or backdrop for our shared life with Him. In a life saturated, or at least tinted and speckled with prayer, God can act more freely and we can more easily recognize his action.

So it is that looking back over the course of the past few days God has given me a way out of temptations associated with jealousy, has aided my condition - and in a way that directly corresponded to my temptation and fit right into my circumstances. In my little life, the Holy Father's visit to our nation presented both causes for jealousy and also protection from it. Maybe that's how God often works, and we, for lack of prayerfulness fail to recognize God's hand. I know this is all very vague, but if you haven't experienced something like it yourself, maybe you'll trust me on this one.

God is so merciful.

No comments: