Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

Fork in the Road



So I am at a crossroads in life, or at least am approaching one, and one that will probably more or less give shape to the day-to-day for much of the rest of my life. I am trying to weigh two possible career choices that I have seriously considered... there may be others that I have inadvertently neglected. What the moves would be is incidental to this piece.

What catches my interest now is that almost everyone I know thinks they know exactly what I should do. It helps that they mostly agree with each other. In fact, they all agree with each other, except for two close family members, who alone seem to dissent.

Happily the crossroads isn't yet encountered - not for a few more months, and even then I'll have the option of putting off the thing, of sitting at the intersection for a while and watching the traffic go by. I bring the thing to prayer, and our Lord, without having yet given me confidence in any particular path, gives me confidence and peace in Him. "Lord, tell me now," I yearn, "what I should do to please you, to be happy, to serve my neighbors." And He responds, "Patience. Have patience. I know - that's enough for now."

So I wait, sort of in a holding pattern. When I have grace to let go, to wait on the Lord, it is not so unpleasant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I don't know what you should do. :)

Except that if God says to wait and that he'll tell you later, then waiting, and doing so calmly and not crazily, is a great idea.