Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

Coming Up: Marine Corps Marathon

So, the big day is just the day after tomorrow. I am very grateful for all the support I have received. Over a $1000 million dollar bills were donated to the Archdiocese of Washington DC's vocations program on my behalf. That's awesome. About as many people have told me that they are and will be praying for me.

In case you're curious, the gun goes off at 8 a.m. on Sunday morning, in what look to be perfect racing conditions. My Greek professor has run the MCM around 28 times, and the Boston Marathon several times too, and (I believe) coaches the women's cross country team at CUA. He told me that 58* (the expected daytime high for Sunday) is the ideal weather for a marathon - the most records are set at that temperature. He would know.

I went with some friends from school who are also running down to the DC Armory to get our race packets, tee-shirts, and most importantly, bibs and timing microchips. The place was filled with vendors and charity organizations: lots of stuff for sale, tons of free handouts, information, and a generally very jubilant atmosphere. That bodes well.

My bib number is lucky number 29686. Lol. Click here if you'd like to see the map of the course. The microchip tied to your shoe allows their computer sensors to track runners during the race and to time us from the time we actually cross the starting line, which might be 10 or 15 minutes after the gun goes off, because of the number of runners. I am, after all, number 29686, even if there aren't exactly that many runners. On race day, you can check up and see how far I've run, by going to their website by clicking here. You'll probably need my lucky bib number. Just in the last few days, I've met a number of other MCM racers, and discovered that some friends are running though I hadn't know earlier. It's beautiful, the camaraderie between strangers. I am also heartened by how young it makes me feel to be engaged upon something so new and exciting, at once both intimidating and inviting.

I could use the prayers because last minute obstacles and hassles pop up, and have already started to pop up. Nothing too serious, but you know how easily we can get discouraged by the little things. Like miles. Lolol. I'm getting pretty pumped - pumped enough to spend every spare minute on Saturday doing on homework (especially Greek, especially principle parts), because I don't know how much I'll be good for Sunday after the race (as much as I love principle parts). I suppose I could use the prayers for that, too. Let's keep praying for each other.

No comments: