Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

Eleven Miles

Last night, from about 11:45 p.m. til about 1:15 a.m. I ran up Rockville Pike for 5.5 miles, and then turned around and ran back. At mile 7.14 my Nike+ attachment crapped out and crashed my iPod with it. So the times aren't exact, and I had to finish the run in silence, except for the sound of my own voice cursing Nike under my breath.

Eleven miles.

The anger reinvigorated my pace, and I am sure the last four miles were faster than the first. But I also noticed that I kinda like running in the quiet - combined with the unseasonably cool, damp air, and the darkness of night, and the trafficless streets, it was really, really nice, actually. The damp air felt like grace. That helped me calm down about my Nike+ attachment. The realization that this run was my longest since my undergraduate Cross Country days also helped me cool down emotionally. In three weeks or so I'll be up to 14 miles, which will be my longest run.

Ever.

I'm pretty psyched about the whole thing.

No comments: