Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

A Late Night Visitor

When the prophet Samuel was a young boy, he once had a very hard time staying asleep. The priest Eli, his master, advised him, "Go, lie down; and if He calls you, you shall say, 'Speak, LORD, for thy servant hears,'" (1 Sam 3:9). I once heard advice that if you find yourself awaken during the night without any obvious reason, and do not easily get back to sleep, rather than frustrate yourself trying to MAKE yourself sleep, follow Eli's advice. In other words, it might be in such situations that God wants to have a word with us. Listen.

Last night, for the first time in a while, I heeded that advice when I awoke at about 3:00 without any obvious reason. After a few minutes of trying to get back to sleep, in frustration I said, half to myself, "What!? What do you want?!" Ok, so that wasn't EXACTLY what Eli recommended, but I think that it was close enough for our Lord's purposes because He answered me. Now, in the clear light of this fresh morning, I remember having asked God for a couple blessings and some answers during the day and before falling asleep.

The details of our Lord's early morning visit to me are between He and I, but I wanted to put up this post in order to encourage others to a like course.

"If today you hear his voice, harden not your heart," (Heb 3:15).

No comments: