Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

Dies Irae





Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
The day of wrath, that day
Will dissolve the world in ashes
As foretold by David and the sibyl!
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
How much tremor there will be,
when the judge will come,
investigating everything strictly!
Tuba mirum spargens sonum
per sepulcra regionum,
coget omnes ante thronum.
The trumpet, scattering a wondrous sound
through the sepulchres of the regions,
will summon all before the throne.
Mors stupebit et natura,
cum resurget creatura,
judicanti responsura.
Death and nature will marvel,
when creation arises,
to respond to the Judge.
Liber scriptus proferetur,
in quo totum continetur,
unde mundus judicetur.
The written book will be brought forth,
in which all is contained,
from which the world shall be judged.
Judex ergo cum sedebit,
quidquid latet apparebit:
nil inultum remanebit.
When therefore the judge will sit,
whatever hides will appear:
nothing will remain unpunished.
Quid sum miser tunc dicturus?
Quem patronum rogaturus,
cum vix justus sit securus?
What am I, miserable, then to say?
Which patron to ask,
when [even] the just may [only] hardly be sure?
Rex tremendae majestatis,
qui salvandos salvas gratis,
salva me fons pietatis.
King of tremendous majesty,
who freely savest those that have to be saved,
save me, source of mercy.
Recordare, Jesu pie,
quod sum causa tuae viae:
ne me perdas illa die.
Remember, merciful Jesus,
that I am the cause of thy way:
lest thou lose me in that day.
Quaerens me, sedisti lassus:
redemisti Crucem passus:
tantus labor non sit cassus.
Seeking me, thou sat tired:
thou redeemed [me] having suffered the Cross:
let not so much hardship be lost.
Juste judex ultionis,
donum fac remissionis
ante diem rationis.
Just judge of revenge,
give the gift of remission
before the day of reckoning.
Ingemisco, tamquam reus:
culpa rubet vultus meus:
supplicanti parce, Deus.
I sigh, like the guilty one:
my face reddens in guilt:
Spare the supplicating one, God.
Qui Mariam absolvisti,
et latronem exaudisti,
mihi quoque spem dedisti.
Thou who absolved Mary,
and heardest the robber,
gavest hope to me, too.
Preces meae non sunt dignae:
sed tu bonus fac benigne,
ne perenni cremer igne.
My prayers are not worthy:
however, thou, Good [Lord], do good,
lest I am burned up by eternal fire.
Inter oves locum praesta,
et ab haedis me sequestra,
statuens in parte dextra.
Grant me a place among the sheep,
and take me out from among the goats,
setting me on the right side.
Confutatis maledictis,
flammis acribus addictis:
voca me cum benedictis.
Once the cursed have been rebuked,
sentenced to rancorous flames:
Call thou me with the blessed.
Oro supplex et acclinis,
cor contritum quasi cinis:
gere curam mei finis.
I meekly and humbly pray,
[my] heart is as crushed as the ashes:
perform the healing of mine end.
Lacrimosa dies illa,
qua resurget ex favilla
judicandus homo reus.
Tearful will be that day,
on which from the ashes arises
the guilty man who is to be judged.
Huic ergo parce, Deus:
pie Jesu Domine,
dona eis requiem. Amen.
Spare him therefore, God.
Merciful Lord Jesus,
grant them rest. Amen.

No comments: